2020 SUBMISSION GUIDELINES
The AIA Design Awards Program strives to recognize projects that represent the best of Middle Tennessee architecture; projects that are exemplary for their thoughtful, sustainable, innovative, and well-crafted design. With juries composed of highly-qualified professionals offering diverse perspectives and expertise, all submissions are reviewed in the context of the project team’s goals and evaluated for thoughtfully designed resolution of those goals.
Call for Entries: July 13, 2020
Registration Deadline: September 18, 2020
Submittal Deadline: October 16, 2020
A flat, non-refundable fee of $275 per entry for AIA members ($450 non-members), which includes one ticket to the AWARDS CELEBRATION and production cost for gallery display.
Please note: Fee will be due at the time of registration. Registration and payment must be completed for each project you wish to submit prior to the registration deadline. You have until the submittal deadline to submit all projects that have been registered.
Any registered architect may submit an original or collaborative project completed after August 1, 2017, and before September 1, 2020.
Licensed AIA Middle TN architects may submit built projects located anywhere in the world.
AIA Architects licensed in other states and non-AIA members may only submit built projects located in Middle Tennessee.
Projects will be submitted in one of six categories:
BUILT: A building, related group of buildings, a renovated/ remodeled building or an interior design project.
– Small Project (25,000 sf or less)
– Large Project (over 25,000 sf)
UNBUILT: Any exercise in architecture with the intent of actual construction (e.g. competition entries, architectural schemes not chosen by the client, or actual projects which have not completed construction.
Each submission must include a detailed summary of the project, high-resolution photographs, and pertinent details. Applicants should be prepared to submit the following information:
- A two-sentence program summary of the project which illustrates a concise and sharp picture through imaginative verbiage.
- Information about project intentions, program requirements, sustainable design goals, cost data, and distinguishing aspects of their resolution. Include the context, program/scope, special challenges/unusual characteristics, and the solution/design of the project.
- Explanation of design achievement that demonstrates exemplary skill and creativity in the resolution and integration of sustainable design, as well as, formal, functional, and technical requirements.
- Pertinent preservation/restoration information (if applicable).
Once you complete your payment below, you will receive further instructions via email to access the official award submission template and details for where to upload your file, photographs, and project details.
A panel of three to five out-of-town architects who have achieved design recognition in their region will evaluate the architect’s performance against each project’s potential. The following awards will be granted.
1. HONOR AWARDS: Granted for overall design excellency
2. AWARDS OF MERIT: Granted to projects of worthy design quality
3. EXCELLENCE IN SUSTAINABLE DESIGN: All entries will be eligible to receive this award, which will be evaluated relative to the AIA/COTE Ten Measures of Sustainability
4. PEOPLES CHOICE: Granted to the project that receives the most public online votes.
All entrants’ submissions will be on display in a walk-around gallery. Winners of the juried awards will present their work as part of the program. You are invited to see you and your colleagues’ work! Food and drink will be provided. Tickets for your friends, family, and clients can be purchased at aiamidtn.org. Your entry fee includes one ticket to the awards celebration per entry. Additional tickets may be purchased at aiamidtn.org.
Awards Celebration Location/Date - December 3, 2020 at local venue.